Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Stupid stuff in Churches...

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've become more and more aware of how many churches are filled with ridiculous items. Here's a couple of snaps of some of the stuff I've seen recently:

With extreme eye-squinting and head-tilting one can detect the vaguest of corpora on the crucifix behind the altar. Also, I believe that obelisk pillar thing is the tabernacle. It was hard to know...
This is unfortunately the sanctuary of St Bonifatius Church in Heidelberg, which is otherwise very beautiful. Why did they have to put such rubbish in it? I mean, just look at the altar!



Below are some shots of Jesuitenkirche, which is a reasonably pretty church with not too much colour inside, though it's not like a conference room. However, they still managed to wheel in the local primary school art, sorry, professional modern art.


Here's the altarpiece, with the modern boring altar out of white marble. At least it doesn't dominate the church with its patheticness. I love the art at the back, depicting the coronation of Jesus by the Father, and the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles, with Mary in the centre. Jesuitenkirche is dedicated to the Holy Spirit and St Ignatius Loyola (my confirmation saint). I believe the general church style is quite typical of Jesuit churches.









"Showing one's colours, one's colours shown" is what this "marvellous" piece is called, nicely rested against an unused confessional. I say chuck it and put the confessional back to use!


The red piece below is called "The Victim". I'm not quite sure what it's meant to be. I suppose you could say it's like someone on their hands and knees and covered in blood, but why so stupid and ugly?





A metal donkey. That's all their is to say.


Hanging from the ceiling are pictures of a series around the church called "Gott im Gefängnis" - God in Prison. Interesting perhaps in a modern art gallery, but not in a church, especially when the pictures contain half naked or fully naked people expressing some unorthodox viewpoints.



"Tower as a beacon"
Now this really IS primary school artwork. Today they used clay.



Actually, it was by some men's spirituality conference, like the "colours" one was the woman's spirituality conference.



As for the bone tower below, I hinna a scooby (no idea).

No comments:

Post a Comment