Talking to one of my best friends today, it turns out his gran died last night. I knew both this grandmother and his other grandmother as his is a tight-knit family and their grandparents were always dropping in. Now both are dead, and both were not that old.
The death of the first grandmother hit my friend's oldest sister (he has three sisters, all younger) and it shook her faith. Nevertheless, I think she has come to terms with it and she still goes to church. I'm unaware as to how the death of the other grandmother has affected her. This remains to be seen but I'll probably find out tomorrow.
Although I did not know either of them particularly well, I knew them enough to notice their absence whenever I went to my friend's house. They were there THAT often. I've also not had to deal with death too often in my life. My paternal grandad died in 2000, an uncle died in 2001 and an aunt died in 2002. I would say that all of these deaths took place at a time when I was pretty much able to cope with them. I also think the fact that I didn't know any of them extremely well made it easier, unlike my friend, whose grandmothers would drop in almost every day of the week.
The phonecall with my friend was one where both condolences and congratulations were expressed, as I announced to him the birth of my second nephew last night. Both my sister and the baby are well and I'd like to ask for your prayers for them both and prayers for my friend's grandmothers.
No comments:
Post a Comment