Monday, 6 June 2011

The Power of a Mass said correctly

Yesterday I went to Mass where the priest did everything by the book. He said the black and did the red. While other aspects of the Mass (such as the music and the female altar boys) were not that great, the fact that I never worried about Father ad-libbing here and there brought great serenity. The texts of the Mass could then speak for themselves.
To highlight how correctly he said it, the dismissal he used was "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.", which is option 3. Often I go to Masses generally said well but then the priest always ends with something like "The Mass is ended, go in peace to love and serve the Lord" (options 2 and 3 combined) or "The Mass is ended, go in the peace of Christ" (options 1 and 2 combined). They just can't seem to help it. They often can't help saying "happy are we who are called to His supper", either. So when the dismissal is said properly, my heart leaps and I can say with even greater conviction "Thanks be to God" (though I don't then ad-lib with "for these priests who can actually follow the text and the rubrics" even though I'm tempted - the priest set an example, see).

P.S. the Mass I went to yesterday wasn't at the cathedral, but if you want a well-said daily Mass, then the cathedral is a good place for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment