Sunday, 10 July 2011

Complaining

Last Sunday's post was perhaps a little harsh, though I experienced the same thing this week (no Psalm or Second Reading). What I must make clear is that I don't hate the priest for doing this - I'm just disappointed and a little frustrated at the whole situation. While I can make no judgement on the priest's motives for changing the liturgy, I can't help but think that there is a little hubris involved, as though somehow the priest thinks that their interpretation of what liturgy should be is better than the two thousand years of development in the liturgy throughout the whole church. Furthermore, to what extent is it my duty to correct the priest on such a matter? I have already gone to my local ordinary in Edinburgh about such a matter and the whole thing blew up in my face (lack of prudence on my part). I should have spoken to the priest first. But then I know that I would somehow come out being the pharisee. In France I spoke to a priest about the whole matter (as I was in France during my correspondence with the aforementioned ordinary) and he basically told me I should never complain, even when I know I'm right. I found this a dangerous idea and was confused - so do they just get to play havoc with the liturgy, with our pious sensibilities?
Herein lies the  real bone of contention - do we discuss the matter first with the priest, and so assume authority on such matters? Or should we go higher up and allow someone more competent to deal with the matter?
I'm not here long enough for it to be worthwhile complaining about it, though I may give the priest a letter about my concerns. One thing that must come first, is charity. And sometimes charity means doing things which may be uncomfortable for you and the other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment