Thursday, 14 January 2010

Signature 2722

Just to let all those millions who read this... correction, who don't read this, there is an online petition called "We've waited long enough" to counteract the "Why don't we just wait?" petition regarding the new translation of the Roman Missal. Please sign it, and show your support for the new translation which more closely safeguards the faith within the Mass. Some people (i.e. those who signed the "Why don't we just wait?" petition) say that the new translation is not modern English. Well, I argue that some of the English used in the current translation is not modern English (who says "and also with you"?) Additionally, there are definitely some grave ambiguities in the current rendering - the worst for me is the translation of the epiclesis, which seems confusing. Here is the Latin:

Supplices te rogamus, omnipotens Deus:
iube hæc perferri per manus sancti Angeli tui in sublime altare tuum,
in conspectu divinæ maiestatis tuæ:
ut quotquot, ex hac altaris participatione sacrosanctum Filii tui
Corpus et Sanguinem sumpserimus
omni benedictione cælesti et gratia repleamur.
(Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen)

Here is the current rendering:

Almighty God,
we pray that your angel may take this sacrifice to your altar in heaven.
Then, as we receive from this altar
the sacred body and blood of your Son,
let us be filled with every grace and blessing.
(Through Christ our Lord. Amen.)

And here is the upcoming new translation:

In humble prayer we ask you, almighty God:
command that these gifts be borne by the hands of your holy Angel to your altar on high
in the sight of your divine majesty,
so that all of us who through this participation at the altar
receive the most holy Body and Blood of your Son
may be filled with every grace and heavenly blessing.
(Through Christ our Lord. Amen.)

For me, the current translation is ambiguous about which altar we receive from - the heavenly altar or the one in front of us? When I was younger, I used to think that the bread and wine were taken up to heaven and swapped for the Body and Blood, but this couldn't be! The Consecration had already taken place! However, in reading the new translation, there is no such ambiguity.

So I exhort everyone to please sign the petition (the linked one, not the other one!) and show your support for a better translation.

If only they just kept the Latin...

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I found your comment on my blog just now, after browsing back at the old family photographs. I am sorry I missed you the first time round, back in November. The link is here:

    http://anenglishgirlrambles.blogspot.com/2009/08/old-family-photos-my-father-stanley.html

    I am very curious if we are related. I have made a few attempts into our genealogy but have not done anything about it lately.

    ReplyDelete