Friday, 10 September 2010

The Mass at Bellahouston (part one)

Given that I've managed to wangle my way to Bellahouston due to having a relative with friends in high places (she's best friends with a Vicar General), I think it is meet to "hae a wee shufty" at how it will pan out. My relative handed my brother and me two golden booklets by Magnificat outlining everything about the Papal Visit. At first I felt privileged at having this golden piece of treasure that no one else seemed to have until they were handing them out willy-nilly to everyone after Mass last Sunday. That sure burst my bubble about being privy and in possession of such arrangements. Anyway, I digress. Here is a quick outline of the Mass at Bellahouston, from the "Gathering" to the Prayer of the Faithful (the rest will be up another time, as it's late):

Gathering In
Starting like a football match, the "Gathering In Prayer - Hymns" section (a misnomer since we won't be gathering but rather will have already been there for about two hours) are How Lovely on the Mountains with the delightful refrain "Our God Reigns" to rival any chanting coming from the nearby Ibrox football stadium (Glasgow Rangers, for those not cognizant thereof) followed by Hail Redeemer (the chorus ends with a belting of "King of love on Calvary"). After this, the Choir sings "My Dearest Lord: Prayer of St Columba". Then we're all back in with "When Christ our Lord" with the choir coming in afterwards again with "To Christ the Seed" (here's the tune).
I must admit at this point that I don't know any of the previous three hymns so I cannot comment on whether they are good or bad. All I know is that the first one is a Kevin Mayhew one so you can draw your own conclusions from that fact.
Then it comes back to us again with that old favourite of the strumming guitar group at Masses at my school - "City of God". I remember disliking this one even when I was eleven or twelve (at time when staples such as "Colours of Day" "I the Lord of sea and sky" and the one above, "Our God Reigns" were perfectly fine for me). There's something about "tears be turned into dancing" accompanied with the tune which just sounds ridiculous. Following this there is then "Ninian of Galloway" to remember that it is the Feast of St Ninian when this Mass takes place.



The Pope arrives at Bellahouston Park
Bagpipes will be a-blazing as they do a rendition of the classic tune to Amazing Grace (a favourite for "lone pipers, especially if they're up high somewhere windy or they're particularly terrible and standing near the Scott Monument in Edinburgh) played by Strathclyde Police Pipe Band. Joining in afterwards, we will be singing the Magnificat "My Soul Proclaims" to the same tune. This is then followed by "All People that on Earth do Dwell", a wonderful song, if only because it allows one to do one's absolute best "singer on Songs of Praise" impression with one's mouth wide open and every vowel exaggerated and enjoyed with a smile.
For the rest of the Pope's entrance there is an organ voluntary and as the Pope vests a motet is sung: "Locus iste".

Mass begins
After some silent preparation, the entrance procession proper begins with an unknown tune (at least to me), "Grace to you and Peace", sung by the choir and the people alternately. This is followed by a staple in many parishes across Scotland I'm sure - "Be thou my vision". The Pope will then be welcomed by the Most Reverend Mario Conti, the Archbishop of Glasgow and Mass will begin. He will use the first penitential rite - the Confiteor followed by the Kyrie, chanted in the Missa de Angelis style. The Gloria following this will be the new Gloria by James MacMillan (I've been practising!). One of the most interesting things about it is that it uses a translation of the Latin, rather than the vague summary we're all used to - meaning we get to sing exciting things like "people of goodwill" and "we give you thanks for your great glory".

Readings through to Prayer of the Faithful
For the Responsorial Psalm we have the well known Psalm 22 (or 23 for those following the "other numbering") but NOT the usual one we would hear. The Gospel Acclamation is also very interesting as it is partly in Gaelic. Now, I will freely admit that I don't know any Gaelic apart from saying my name, saying hello and saying I don't have any money (someone will confirm this, but is it "Chan eil airgead agam"?) But for any of you who have done well in mastering the good language, here is the text:
Alleluia. Falbhaibh is teagaisgibh a h-uile cinneadh,
tha mise maille ribh gu deireadh an t-saoghail.
Fosgail ar cridhe, a'Thighearna,
's gun gabh sinn ri briathran do Mhic.
I am tempted to find out how it is pronounced, but online descriptions really are not the best - I'd probably just end up with a "Blas na Beurla".
The response to the Prayer of the Faithful is "God, our Father, hear our prayer: your kingdom come".

No comments:

Post a Comment