Wednesday, 17 November 2010
Review of Sung Mass for the Feast of Saint Margaret
God is very clearly answering my prayers. Recently, I have been longing to hear an Ordinary Form Mass chanted. Indeed, ever since I heard these recordings I have wanted to assist at a Mass chanted by the priest. This longing was fulfilled last night when I went to the Mass for the Feast of Saint Margaret. The choir was as usual excellent. The Saint Margaret Schola are very good and they regularly sing EF vespers at the cathedral. Just last week they sang the vespers from the office of the dead. The priest, whom I had never seen before, had a good singing voice as well (mercifully - I imagine it could be quite painful to have a priest sing the whole mass terribly). Wondering who this priest was (and thinking how lucky his parishioners are), I did a quick investigation last night but to no avail. Nevertheless, I found out this evening who he was as I attended a talk concerning Sacred Music given by him. Fr Gerry Byrne is very much for gregorian chant (hurrah!) and he told everyone there plain and simple what is allowed and what is not allowed (which seemed to upset quite a few - for me hearing this was music to my ears (pun intended!). Anyway, God seems to really be showing me that there are a good number of good priests out there (I'd started wondering...) and that they are starting to really take the lead in steering the faithful back towards proper liturgical practices and back to a proper teaching of the Catholic faith rather than watered downs stuff. Deo gratias!
Labels:
catholic scot scotland,
liturgy,
ordinary form,
priest,
traditional
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment