Friday, 25 February 2011

On Mean-spiritedness

(if that's not a made up word)

Today I read something really depressing over at The Crescat. The entry itself was not depressing but the comments underneath were, for two reasons. First of all, they attacked a famous Catholic blogger for encouraging divisiveness and polarizing the Catholic blogosphere and they accused many of those who comment on the blog of being hypocritical and uncharitable. Now, in some respects I can understand where they are coming from and I have often wondered about some of the views on the blog. Nevertheless, these comments were vituperative themselves, pure and simple. This is the second reason why it was depressing.

Anyway, this got me reflecting on the purpose of this blog. What is the point of it? Reading through some of my past entries, I realise that it's quite a depressing blog itself. It's often too critical and not nearly joyful enough. So I've set myself two criteria by which I can decide whether it is worthwhile posting something.

Is this post helpful in cultivating a virtue?
Is this post interesting or just self-indulgent?

I've also decided that, for Lent, I'll only post nice things and nothing critical. There's enough of that stuff elsewhere.

And so, to start me off, I'll go with this:

No comments:

Post a Comment