Wednesday, 9 March 2011

To wipe off or not to wipe off, that is the question

I decided to keep the ashes on my forehead until I arrived at uni this morning. I'd arrived early and so I was sitting in a computer lab diligently getting on with one of the many "I should have done this earlier" tasks. Anyway, I thought I had class an hour earlier than I did, so I went to the room, realised no one was there and that I was too early and so promptly returned to the Languages building. Outside I saw a friend who came up to me, noticed the ashes on my forehead and gave a comical inquisitive look at my forehead and said, "you have a really dirty forehead by the way". I realised I couldn't cope with the attention, gave a brief explanation and then went and scrubbed it off reverently, remembering that the ash itself is a sacramental. Knowing my personality and the people at uni, keeping the ash on would be worse. It depends on the circumstance, I think.

Anyway, I LOVE the Latin expression "Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris", particularly the bit at the end with all the Es and Rs. With a nice rolled R it sounds great and ominous, like all memento moris should be.

Christ preaching repentance, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment