
Well, I never managed to get to St Félix church as I missed the tram, but I went on instead to St Nicolas in the centre of town. Thankfully, the priest there doesn't seem to go on ego-trips, and also likes to sing the collect and postcommunion, which I think is a good sign. His homily was good and stuck to the the readings and the gospel and to the theme of missions, and he resolutely did things by the book, so even when the final hymn was sung before the dismissal had been said, he didn't just let it pass but then said the dismissal once the hymn had finished. Thanks be to God for such priests. Less orthodox priests would probably have let it slide.
I will still go to St Félix next week as it's much closer and would be handier, but if it has people grabbing my hand for the Our Father like the other church a few weeks ago, I'll just stick with St Nicolas.
People still stood during the consecration, like in every Ordinary Form mass I've been to here. It must be a "custom" that's crept in, but I'm definitely not adopting it. Luckily, the people in front of me (who were French) also knelt, and not just for the consecration, but for the whole Eucharistic prayer :)
I've unfortunately not been able to go to most of the student chaplaincy meetings on Wednesday evenings (mainly because I have a class till right before it starts and also bringing something to eat is an entry fee, which I wouldn't be able to do without carrying it about all day in my bag). Nevertheless, I will try and go again because I met some really nice people there. I can also at some point ask them about the French phobia for kneeling. Though that is for later.
No comments:
Post a Comment