Wednesday, 7 October 2009

A weapon of Victory, the Holy Rosary.


Today, while saying the Rosary, something unbelievable happened. When meditating on the Lord's glorious Resurrection, I experienced a great yet very calm joy. I realised that I've found it very easy to mourn the Lord when considering his most painful and most loving Passion, but when it came to the Resurrection, I found it stirred nothing within me. Good Friday seemed a lot more significant because of this. Perhaps this is because I've experienced death, but the mystery of the Resurrection was beyond my comprehension, even my emotional comprehension. Of course, feelings are not what should guide one's faith, and the fact that I felt nothing did not make me once doubt the Resurrection. Also, the mystery of the Resurrection is beyond complete comprehension. However, I think what I sensed today was Christ's victory. The Jews expected a militaristic Messiah/Christ, one who would lead them to victory over their oppressors and enemies. And Christ did achieve this through his resurrection victory. His victory over death and sin - the real oppressors. His victory over Satan - the real enemy. The Lord conquered with love.
It is perhaps appropriate that this sense of the victory of Christ came to me both today and the fact that I was saying the Rosary. For today is the memoria of Our Lady of the Rosary, which, when it was first commemorated, was called Our Lady of Victory.
Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment