Wednesday, 15 December 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream - and a Midautumn Night's one too

I'm not really one who discusses dreams a lot but recently and not-so-recently I had very vivid dreams that I can still remember quite clearly. The first, which I had over four or five months ago when I was still in Heidelberg, involved attendance at a TLM. The priest was wearing a golden chasuble and the church was rather white. It very much reminded me of this video and of the St Anna church in Heidelberg, where the TLM was offered twice a month. It was at the offertory part of the mass when suddenly someone burst into the church and started shooting, killing the priest and others. It was so frightening and shocking that I remember waking up.

The second dream occurred back at home, around the end of September or the beginning of October. I was back at my home parish and I was extremely anxious in the dream. At the time I had been pondering and worrying over the issue of reverence for the Blessed Sacrament and receiving communion on the hand. Somehow, in the dream I had zoom vision and could see fragments of the host dropping to the floor all the time. It was extremely distressing, and all the more so due to the fact that no one seemed to care. After mass, I remember going up to the area where the priest stood distributing communion and started carefully picking up the fragments, wondering what to do. Having collected what I could, I remember placing them on the altar as there was nowhere else to put them and starting to shout at people. At this point the dream got ridiculous and it's harder to remember what happened afterwards. This dream also reminded me of a video I had watched on youtube. It shows how tiny fragments of hosts break off so easily when the host is placed in the hand and when hosts are shifted about. I am also reminded of a time when a priest was "decanting" the hosts from one ciborium to another and some hosts fell on the floor. I felt as though I'd been stabbed in the chest when I saw this. How could people, a priest of all people, be so careless! It is moments like this that make me completely 100% convinced that only practice should be communion strictly on the tongue, no exceptions.

I have no idea what these dreams really mean, if they mean anything. Both were memorable because they were disturbing, but for different reasons. The second related to a reality that I had witnessed myself, but the first related to something that happens elsewhere in the world, such as the tragic incident in Baghdad, and possibly to something that may happen to us in the future. Nevertheless, both are important issues for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment