When Christ our Lord to Andrew cried:Here is a version on Youtube.
'Come, thou, and follow me,'
The fisher left his net beside
the Sea of Galilee.
To teach the truth his Master taught,
To tread the path he trod
Was all his will, and thus he brought
Unnumbered souls to God.
When Andrew's hour had come, and he
Was doomed like Christ to die,
He kissed his cross exultingly.
And this his loving cry:
'O noble Cross! O precious wood!
I long have yearned for thee;
Uplift me to my only good
Who died on thee for me.'
The faith that Andrew taught once shone
O'er all this kingdom fair;
The cross that Jesus died upon
Was honoured everywhere.
But evil men that faith beat down,
Reviling Andrew's name;
The cross, though set in kingly crown,
Became a sign of shame.
Saint Andrew, now in bliss above,
Thy fervent prayers renew
That Scotland yet again may love
The faith, entire and true;
That I the cross allotted me
May bear with patient love!
'Twill lift me, as it lifted thee,
To reign with Christ above.
Note that this was also a hymn sung at the Mass at Bellahouston. I wonder what is referred to by "evil men that faith beat down, /Reviling Andrew's name;"? At first I thought this referred to the Reformation but then the line that follows puzzled me "The cross, though set in kingly crown, /Became a sign of shame." This makes me think of the more secular attacks on the faith. Perhaps both could be implied and in any case, we should be praying for a restoration of the Catholic faith to Scotland, which has indeed been helped by the immigration of the Polish folk. There are many on my course at uni and I'm glad to have people there who share my faith.
Saint Andrew, pray for us!
Saint Margaret, pray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment