Monday, 6 December 2010

Writing Style

Over the past few weeks, the number of essays and things I've had to write have increased. As a result, I've recently become more and more aware of my writing style. And I hate it. I read other blogs such as Shameless Popery and Seraphic Goes To Scotland, which both have crystal-clear writing styles, and then read my own and think "oh dear, what on earth have you written dear boy?" At first, I couldn't figure out why it was unsatisfactory. After further consideration, I realised what the problem was - I write like a German! My sentences are overly long and rambling with lots of "nested" parts. So now I can work out how to correct it. Any tips are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. You might find it helps to read your text aloud after writing it. If it doesn't sound good, it probably isn't good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is a good idea. I also think that I don't plan what I'm writing so I try and get all my thoughts in at once, leading to loaded sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about Shameless Popery, but I've been writing almost daily for decades. It comes with practise, fine-tuning your ear, and more practise. Meanwhile, I should probably hit spellcheck more often than I do. Thanks for the compliment! :-D

    ReplyDelete