Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Solemnity, Birthday, Anniversary and Living With Granny

Today is quite a loaded day for me. First of all, it's my sister's birthday. This is something I've always been aware of. Afterwards, I also became aware of the fact that today is also the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of our dear Mother Mary, one of my favourite feasts of the year. In all honesty, I don't think I could really say why it is one of my favourites but it is. I think it may be to do with the fact that it celebrates something huge - the dawn of the era of grace - and yet at the same time it was such a silent, hidden, gentle and loving act of God. There were no rays of light, no fiery pillars, nothing. Rather like how God was not in the hurricane, nor in the earthquake nor in the fire but in the still small voice, a light murmuring sound when appearing to Elijah. At Mary's conception in her mother's womb, she was gently and lovingly prepared to be the mother of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Today is also the anniversary of a relative's death, which had been very sudden. This relative also happened to be my sister's godfather, which is something I find makes the whole affair more sorrowful. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.
On a lighter note, my gran is over to stay for a while due to the continuing horrendous weather. Oh, how I hate snow! Great when you're young but rubbish when you want things done. Anyway, my gran sees her stay as an enormous burden on us all when actually we love it. I can't help but wonder whether this self-deprecation and self-designation as a burden to all by many of our elderly is something that seeps in through society. Our elderly need to realise that they are appreciated and loved not for whether they can do stuff for us, either at home or even to society. They are loved and appreciated for themselves, and we thank them for the work they have already done in their lives. Goodness knows how I hope that I'm treated with respect by the time I'm elderly. Although the Assisted Suicide Bill put forward by Margo Macdonald was scrapped this time, but there's plenty more time for more bills to be put forward before I get to retiring age!

No comments:

Post a Comment