Saturday, 11 December 2010

On the lion and the viper He will tread

The sly serpent has been lurking again, trying (and often succeeding) to ensnare me. The fact that this particular one will doggedly follow me until the end of my days is a tough fact to deal with and often it gets me down. Luckily, I have noticed that when I am dragged down, I find myself looking up and seeing Christ there, standing confidently and lovingly, extending his hand to pull me up again. Yet often as soon as I'm up, I forget about him and wander off again to proceed to fall into another ten-foot deep pit. The falls are sore and all I can hope is that I learn from these experiences.
As I said, often the hardest part is knowing that the wicked serpent will be following me all the time, convincing me to take this route and that route, all of which are ultimately roads to perdition. The task I need to learn is to recognise the path Christ shows and follow this path, so that I don't fall down all the pits. Yet the serpent is often so blooming beguiling.
There is a question on this matter that I have wondered about for a while now: do I describe the serpent to others or not? Would it serve any purpose or help me in my wayfaring through life?

Anyway, sorry for the glum post. The antidote is given tomorrow anyway - "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, Rejoice! The Lord is near." These words are important and remind me that even when I do fall into pits or go on the wrong path, the Lord is near to help bring me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment